Job Opportunities at Inception Therapeutics
Director of Medicinal Chemistry
Inception Therapeutics is a drug discovery engine co-founded with Versant Ventures in 2011, dedicated to creating new start-up companies for translating breakthrough scientific insights into novel therapies. The candidate for this role should desire participation in launching and growing a dynamic early-stage startup company.
Inception Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated individual with experience in preclinical drug discovery to act as a Director of Chemistry. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing and managing medicinal chemistry to ensure timely completion of research projects. In addition, he/she will participate in collaborative research arrangements and evaluations as required, including the evaluation of opportunities for new company creation. Experience in all preclinical phases of drug discovery is required and leading the chemistry effort to a preclinical development candidate is highly desired.
Direct and manage medicinal chemistry to ensure timely completion of research projects. Supervise as needed to support departmental objectives.
- Participates in external collaborative arrangements and evaluations as required, including the evaluation of opportunities for new company creation.
- Is responsible for developing and executing chemistry plans to ensure successful completion of company objectives.
- Directs internal and/or external chemists to complete chemistry that will drive Inception programs to milestone achievements.
- Coordinates the evaluation and review of data, the determination of problem solutions, project priorities and future experiments in multidisciplinary settings.
- Participates in the target selection process.
- Formulates innovative molecular design ideas, including working with computational chemistry/structural biology, to make significant impacts on the advancement of preclinical drug discovery projects
- Develops and contributes to company’s intellectual property domain by way of patents and/or publications
- Contributes to the implementation and management of chemistry-related activities such as compound management and instrument/equipment acquisition and oversight.
- Supervises staff as needed.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience, and minimum 7 years industry experience, OR
- MS in Chemistry and minimum 14 years of industry experience, OR
- BS in Chemistry and minimum 17 years of industry experience
- Track record of leading drug discovery program(s) from hits to clinical candidates
- Fluent in structure-based drug design methods and applications
- Track record of accomplishment in medicinal chemistry as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/inventions
- Internally and externally recognized expert in medicinal chemistry and its applications within at least one therapeutic area
- Demonstrates independent thought/creativity in science and success in coordinating and executing research to further corporate goals
- Conveys ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
- Excellent communication, collaboration and multitasking skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage productive team(s)
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
Inception Therapeutics is a multi-disciplinary discovery engine partnered with Versant Ventures to build and launch transformative new biopharmaceutical companies. We are home to a dynamic team that enjoys working on cutting-edge science to meet unmet medical need across a variety of therapeutic areas. Our integrated chemistry, biology expertise and capabilities coupled with a successful track record have enabled Inception to become an established leader in new company creation. We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits packages, as well as working in a supportive team environment. This position is located in our San Diego office.
Job candidates should be aware that full vaccination against COVID-19 is required subject to legally required exceptions. Inception Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and encourages potential or current employees to request a reasonable accommodation under federal, state and local regulations, should one be needed.