Job Opportunities at Inception Therapeutics
Protein Biochemist – Protein Purification and Analytics
Inception Therapeutics is seeking a creative, motivated and experienced scientist to join the Biologics team in San Diego, California. This position will be key to the building of a novel biologics portfolio, focused on multiple innovative biotherapeutics platforms. The responsibilities of this role will include protein purification and analytics, with the hands-on execution of characterization and purification for lead molecules, protein reagents, immunogens, and panning reagents. Expertise in protein chromatography, protein concentration and formulation, and cutting-edge protein analytical techniques will be key to this position. The candidate will be highly proficient in the design of optimal processes that are consistent with team material needs for quantity (milligram to gram scale) and purity. In addition, experience and expertise in molecular interaction analysis (e.g., protein-protein binding kinetics and thermodynamics) may be important to this role.
- Perform all stages of protein purification and analytics to produce biotherapeutics leads, protein reagents, immunogens, and panning reagents.
- Design, assess and troubleshoot analytics and purification protocols
- Develop and optimize primary and secondary purification protocols for leads and reagents
- Deliver protein preparations and data analysis packages to project teams in a timely manner
- Assess developability of leads as needed
- Assess binding properties of leads, where needed
- Present results regularly at team meetings
- Perform diligent and timely note-keeping and work process tracking
- BS with 7+ years industry experience, or MS with 4+ years industry experience, or PhD + Postdoctoral experience. Industry experience will be in the field of Biotherapeutics
- Undergraduate/graduate education in the fields of Biology/Biochemistry/Biophysics
- A solid understanding of the principles behind recombinant protein production, with a focus on methods for protein purification, analysis, and quality attributes and criteria.
- Strong expertise in design, execution, and troubleshooting of purification and analytics processes, including monoclonal antibodies and other biologics
- An understanding of the principals and best practices behind biotherapeutic developability (e.g., preformulation studies, stability studies, lead purity, purification process)
- Extensive experience in protein purification using a variety of methods (e.g. affinity, SEC, IMAC, ion exchange, HIC, and hydroxyapatite chromatographies; ultrafiltration), instrumentation (FPLC, HPLC, AKTA) and software (e.g., Unicorn, Chemstation)
- Strong expertise in characterization of protein preparations using SDS-PAGE/cGE, HPLC (SEC), and endotoxin analysis.
- Experience with antibody and biotherapeutic purification and characterization, and a working knowledge of various biotherapeutic modalities
- Experience with data analysis and presentation software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The individual should be scientifically creative and driven by a willingness to embrace innovation within drug discovery and an eagerness to challenge and meet aggressive timelines
- The ability to work closely with other group members within teams is essential
- Experience in protein-ligand interaction analysis (e.g., SPR, ELISA, cytometry) is a strong plus
- Experience with LC/MS characterization of protein samples, especially for antibodies and other biotherapeutics would be desirable
Inception Therapeutics is a multi-disciplinary discovery engine partnered with Versant Ventures to build and launch transformative new biopharmaceutical companies. We are home to a dynamic team that enjoys working on cutting-edge science to meet unmet medical need across a variety of therapeutic areas. Our integrated chemistry, biology expertise and capabilities coupled with a successful track record have enabled Inception to become an established leader in new company creation. We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits packages, as well as working in a supportive team environment. This position is located in our San Diego office. We invite you to consider a career with Inception by submitting your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.