Job Opportunities at Inception Therapeutics
Head of Finance
Inception Therapeutics, Inc. is an established leader in new company creation. Our interests span multiple therapeutic areas and are guided by scientific breakthroughs and/or technology platforms which enable the development of novel treatments for unmet medical need.
Inception is searching for an experienced executive with exceptional leadership experience to join our company in San Diego, CA. The Head of Finance plays a key role in the overall management of the company and acts as a trusted technical advisor to the CEO and the Board of Directors by providing insights on both strategic and operational matters and adding clarity and accountability to the strategic planning and implementation process. Leads all aspects of the accounting department including financial reporting, technical accounting research related to new and proposed accounting standards for the company and its holding companies. Oversees budgets and cost controls, financial analysis, and accounting policies and procedures. Analyzes and interprets financial data and recommends changes to improve systems and financial performance. Provides leadership and technical guidance for compliance with GAAP. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the accounting/finance department which includes finance, purchasing, and facilities. Involved with various aspects of legal (corporate governance) and HR. This position reports directly to the CEO.
- Financial Reporting
- Verifies the accuracy and timeliness of all finance reports, manages the day-to-day financial operations and month-end/quarter-end reporting, payroll processing, accounts payable and fixed asset management ensuring financial statements are complete, accurate, and in compliance with U.S. GAAP requirements.
- Facilitates periodic P&L reviews with key decision makers to uncover trends, challenges, and opportunities for improvement.
- Manages annual audit with independent auditors.
- Develops and prepares necessary financial information for regulatory requirements.
- Partners with the CEO in preparing Board presentations
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Responsible for leading all aspects of the budgeting and forecasting process and subsequent comparison to actuals.
- General Accounting
- Ensures strong accounting and operational controls to safeguard assets and helps drive operational performance.
- Completes comprehensive month end close to include reviewing and approving journal entries and accruals, and reconciliation and analysis of operating and balance sheet accounts.
- Performs all general accounting functions related to revenue, debt, and equity accounting.
- Manages all general accounting functions including cash & investments, A/R, A/P, fixed assets, and payroll.
- Manages preparation and timely filing of annual and quarterly tax accounting with outside tax accountants; includes property tax, use tax, franchise tax, state and federal income tax returns, and manages other tax projects.
- Performs technical accounting research related to new and proposed accounting standards and complex accounting transactions (license agreements, collaboration agreements, leases, vendor contracts, etc.).
- Identifies, designs, and implements any changes to accounting policies and procedures.
- Provides continuous direction and feedback to the accounting team including purchasing and facilities in all areas related to financial operations, internal controls, payroll, month end reconciliation, P&L performance, etc.
- Sets high standards for performance and holds the team accountable for results.
- Provides leadership and direction to individual employees to establish high morale and dedication.
- Oversees the hiring and supervision of accounting and related personnel.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the CEO, including responding to information requests and working on special projects.
- Maintains or provides oversight to ensure accurate and up to date capitalization table.
- Manages the stock administration processes, including stock option issuances, grant processing and reporting, employee communication on stock related matters, obtains 409A reports, etc.
- Interfaces with management, board of directors and key partners (banking, insurance, legal, tax, auditors, etc.)
- Assists in due diligence activities and special projects as needed.
- Facilitates completeness of data room.
- Responsible for procurement of insurance policies and renewals.
- Assists with ensuring completeness of corporate governance (BOD minutes, Shareholder consents, Board approvals, transaction documentation, executed agreements, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, CPA required
- 15+ years of accounting and finance experience
- Biotech company experience required
- Strong knowledge and understanding of U.S. GAAP, accounting and financial reporting
- Superior judgement and ability to demonstrate adaptability to individual needs while not compromising integrity and financial needs of the organization
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively across a diverse range of departments and levels, including senior management and the Board
- Ability to proactively identify accounting issues and initiative to solve challenges.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Inception Therapeutics offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits packages, as well as working in a supportive team environment. This position is located in our San Diego office. We invite you to consider a career with Inception Therapeutics by submitting your resume to HR@inceptiontx.com